We went to Miriam's 3rd dentist appointment today. She was a trooper. She walked in singing songs, "We're going to the dentist, We're going to the dentist." Happy, happy...telling everyone, "Hey Guys! How ya doin?" She was ready. That lasted about 10 minutes.
As soon we got back to the actual office, it ALL changed. She remembered that she didn't like going to the dentist. She cried and cried. The super cool dentist pretended to call Elmo who then told Miriam that all the kids got their teeth cleaned. It didn't work on my girl.
It was high drama during the cleaning. She begged for us to stop. I had to hold down her arms and legs. It was rough on all of us. But, she made it through and got a toothbrush and bouncy ball (which is already lost) for her trouble.
The worst part for me during the visit was when Dr. Johnson made me look at the shape of Miriam's teeth. He bragged on me for the brushing...her teeth are super clean, no cavities and no sign of any. But, her little mouth is really starting to show the signs of her thumb sucking. He was nice about it, but was clear that we had to get Miri to stop sucking her thumb. He ordered some stuff that I'm going to paint on her fingers that is supposed to help. All day, I've been reminding her not to suck her thumb and I feel SO bad for her. Imagine if someone just took away what gave you joy and comfort for a reason you couldn't comprehend. It would be like someone taking my TIVO and saying it was to better our country...it wouldn't make sense. She's taking it out of her mouth, though. Keeps looking at me like I'm crazy when I tell her to take her thumb out...but, she's doing it.
I'm so mean.
No comments:
Post a Comment