We recently ran in our first race as a family. The Red Nose Run benefits the local Ronald McDonald House and is sponsored by the Ringling Bros Circus. I was under the impression that it was a bigtime kid event an to some extent it was...but, it could have been better. Miriam wasn't much into the TWO clowns they had there and she was absolutely petrified of Ronald McDonald (who Paul called Ronald McFondle, he was pretty creepy). I was expecting big bounce houses and stuff for her and it wasn't there. I need to stop setting my expectations so high :) 
I did the 5K with my dad and my friend Erin. I was different than running on the treadmill or at the track at the gym. The adrenalin from the other racers was contagious and I ran it much faster than I do at the gym. My dad helped, too. Cracked me up talking to all the other runners. Kept me from thinking I couldn't complete it. I definitely ran more of it than I walked and that was my goal. Since I finished sooner than expected Paul and Miriam didn't make it there in time to see me cross the finish line. I really hoped that they would get to see me finish my first race in years...next time, though, they will.
After my race, as a family we ran in the one mile Fun Run. Paul didn't get why anyone would call it "fun". He was a great sport and ran the majority of it, pushing Miriam in the stroller. SHE LOVED IT. The whole time, "We're racing, We're doing it, Mommy." It was such a motivator. Toward the end, we took her out of the stroller and carried her across the finish line. Every cheered, but I'm sure Miriam was the loudest, "We did it, We made it, YAY!!!!!" She had a blast. We are running in a Conquer Cancer run this Saturday in honor of Paul's dad and I can't wait to hear her cheering again!
No comments:
Post a Comment