Monday, March 7, 2011

The Von-Trapps

Paul and I went to see Colin Hay at Workplay on Saturday night. Colin Hay is the front man for the old band "Men at Work", who sang, "Land Down Under" and brought to us the term "Veg-a-mite Sandwich". But, Paul got hooked on him for his solo work. We saw him about 2 years ago and I didn't really remember the music, but remembered his hysterical "VH-1 Storytellers"-esque banter in between songs. This guy is funny and has a had a super cool life.


As I sat super close to Paul with my head on his shoulder, 2 beers and 2 vodka shots in, listening to this Swedish guy's acoustic music...I got to thinking about how differently Paul and I are into music. Paul is IN TO music. He has a natural ear and can pick up beats and rhythms and hears instruments that I don't even realize are there. He tries to find the latest, coolest music out there, but can't get enough of the old guys who did it right. He can go from listening to Steve Earle to Usher and not be the least bit intimidated that he knows the words to "Party in the USA". It is one of things I love about him most...the way he loves music.

I'm not like Paul. I know lyrics. I can tell you all the words to A LOT of songs, but couldn't tell the name of the song or who sings it. I've driven many people crazy in the past with my "Who sings this?" questions, after I've just sang 1/2 the song and the artist is very obvious. I love a song based on it's words usually...the 'music' part of it rarely matters to me. Unless it's work-out music and then it's usually gangsta rap and really bad POP music.

The girl we created together has the best of both worlds. She is so like Paul in her ear. She can hear tunes that I would never notice...can yell from the bathroom after hearing 2 notes of toy commericial that she "wants that Polly Pocket Ice Cream Girl for Christmas" She can hear a song on one of her shows maybe twice and knows all the words, verses and chorus. She LOVES live music. Couldn't get her away from the bands at Gumbo Fest in Destin the other weekend. I would put her piano lessons right now if someone would teach a 4yr old around here. She sings so sweetly. Has such a good voice, and I'm not being biased. She is ready to perform for the world, I tell ya. I just want to put videos of her singing "Firework" on Youtube, but Paul won't let me. I tried to tell him that is what Justin Bieber's mom did, but I don't know how compelling that argument is...

Back to concert: I sat there trying to focusing on the lyrics to Colin Hay's "Maggie" (SUCH a great song), my mind wandered a bit to my little musical family. In my mind we are as musical as the Von-Trapps...even if I listen to Ke$ha every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment